Dementia Friendly Hampshire

Alternatives to Traditional Respite Care:

Alternatives to Traditional Respite Care:

If you or someone you love is living with dementia you may feel holidays together are no longer an option, but traditional models of respite that separate families don’t appeal to you. There are some organisations who can offer supported holidays for people with dementia and their partners, family, friends or carers to enjoy together.

Dementia Adventure

The Dementia Adventure trained team and expertly planned itineraries mean you can have the holiday you have been hoping for. Whether you want to relax by the coast or walk up mountains, they have something for everyone. They welcome people with all types of dementia and can arrange personal care if necessary at an additional cost.

Holidays are usually 5 days, commencing on the Monday with arrival at the accommodation mid to late afternoon.  The rest of the day is spent settling in, getting to know each other over afternoon tea, perhaps some time exploring the immediate area and later dinner. The following three days are spent exploring the local area with visits to gardens and stately homes, train and boat trips, picnics and cream teas often in the itinerary. After breakfast on Friday the group make their farewells and set off for home.

The groups have a maximum of 8 guests (4 people with dementia and 4 carers) who are supported by one Dementia Adventure Staff member and up to 3 fully trained volunteers depending upon the number of guests. Staff and volunteers support the guests throughout the holiday, moving within the group as required. Dementia Adventure has one fully accessible minibus and usually hires a second vehicle close to the holiday centre depending upon group size.

All of the accommodation and venues for the holiday have been checked for accessibility and chosen to provide very special memories.

If a small group holiday is not your thing, perhaps you might like a bespoke holiday? Ideal for groups of friends or families who want to travel together, please contact the team for more information.

Their holidays are subsidised through The Dementia Adventure Trust which fundraises to enable as many people living with dementia to benefit as possible. You can join as many holidays as you like but this subsidised rate is normally only available on the first holiday each year. There are other options for financial support listed at the end of this page.

Travel to and from the holiday destination is separate but Dementia Adventure may be able to help with planning, contact them to discuss if you have special needs. Some options for assisted travel are listed later on this page.

Contact Dementia Adventure on:
Tel: 01245 237548, email:

Mind ForYou

 Mind for you provide similar trips to Dementia Adventure however they do use only paid staff rather than volunteers. They provide two levels of support, Gold and Platinum.

Gold Support Package

Their Gold Support Package is one member of experienced Mind forYou Support Staff for every two couples.

Platinum Support Package

Their Platinum Support Package is having your own dedicated and experienced member of Mind forYou Support Staff. 

Tel: 01509 351008 or email:


Revitalise is a national charity providing short breaks and holidays (respite care) for disabled people and carers.  They differ a little from Dementia Adventure and Mind for You who support people affected by dementia to take holidays in more typical holiday accommodation – often farm stays/barn conversions. They run three accessible holiday centres in Chigwell in Essex, Netley (Southampton) and Southport.

They provide care but are not a care home!

Their guests go to them not just for the care they need but also for a fabulous holiday experience. They provide:

  • 24-hour on-call nursing care
  • Plenty of support from lively volunteers
  • Fully accessible facilities
  • Quality hospitality
  • Fantastic excursions and entertainment
  • Relaxed and friendly environment.
  • Each year they provide a number of weeks specifically for people with Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia, and their partners or carers.

Their dementia trained care staff are on hand at all times to support you and your loved ones, you have the space to reconnect as loved ones and become husband and wife, father and daughter once more.

 Attention is lavished every bit as much on the carer as on the cared for. On every Alzheimer’s Week, carers have the option to a special evening out. They will have the unique opportunity to relax in the company of fellow carers and completely switch off from their caring role, secure in the knowledge that their partner is happy and well looked after.

Revitalise subsidises the cost of all Alzheimer’s breaks so they are able to offer guests reduced prices.

Your guide to financial assistance

There are ways of getting some assistance to help pay for your holiday.

Talk to your local authority It is always worth checking with your local council to find out if you or the person you care for are eligible for support. In order to qualify, you and the person you are looking after will need to have your needs assessed. People who are entitled to local authority social services should be offered the option of having a personal budget. This allows them to have a say in what the money that has been allocated to meet their care needs is spent on. Some people may like to receive this as a direct payment. This means that they control the money and how it is spent themselves and can, for example, use it to pay for a supported holiday.

People living with dementia who may have difficulties making decisions are still entitled to receive self-directed support from a local authority. But this may be managed by a person appointed to make money decisions on their behalf, for example a trusted family member. Find the number of your local social services department in your local phone directory or online at

The Mental Health Foundation Dementia Choices project provides information and guidance on selfdirected support from local authorities for people living with dementia, their families and friends, and the staff who support them. Find out more at

Apply for a grant In the UK there are thousands of awards and grant schemes designed to provide financial assistance to individuals. There are so many, with different criteria that it makes it almost impossible for us to list them all.

Turn2us: a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face. The website features a free and easy to use grants search and benefits calculator. w:

Top tips Look locally: There are numerous local trusts which help people within certain geographical areas. Is there a local fund covering your area? Be specific: Apply only for grants where they specify holidays, breaks or respite will be funded

Carers Trust: If you are an unpaid family carer, Carers Trust has a ‘Carers Take Time Out’ fund which can provide up to £400 towards the cost of a short break. To apply contact your local carer service so they can advise you. They will complete a supporting statement for you on the application form. w: e: t: 0844 800 4361

3H Fund: provides grants to help towards the cost of a holiday within a restricted geographic area. w: e: t: 01892 860 207

The Respite Association: provides funding towards the cost of respite breaks. You can apply directly but most referrals come from caring organisations, such as Crossroads or directly from Social Services on behalf of individuals. w: e: t: 01775 820176

Ogilvie Charities: Funds breaks for carers through the Margaret Champney Rest and Holiday Fund. Applications must be made through a social worker, community nurse or similar professional agency and payment is made direct to that agency. w: e: t: 01394 388746

Barchester’s Charitable Foundation: This foundation favours applications that help improve people’s mobility, independence and quality of life. Grants range from £100 up to £5,000. They do not accept applications submitted by the intended beneficiary or their immediate family. All applications for an individual must be supported by a third party sponsor, like a health or personal care professional, social worker, charity or support group representative. For more examples of who could sponsor your application please contact their administrator for guidance. w: e: t: 0800 328 3328 Apply to a benevolent fund

Does somebody in your family have or used to have a certain trade?

There are many schemes, often called benevolent funds specifically to aid the families of people within a profession. We have listed a few suggestions below:

GroceryAid: GroceryAid is the trading name of the National Grocers’ Benevolent Fund (NGBF). There is a wide range of guidance and support available at GroceryAid including legal advice, housing, personal and family work and career, benefits, money and debt.

Chartered Accountants’ Benevolent Association (CABA): CABA provides advice and practical support to current and former ICAEW chartered accountants and their families including ICAEW chartered accountants, retired ICAEW chartered accountants, spouses & life partners, active ACA students and those living overseas. Available to provide support, guidance and financial support if needed.

The Benevolent (for the drinks industry): The Benevolent exists to support members of UK drinks industry facing a variety of difficult circumstances including serious illness, disability, debt or family crisis. The Benevolent’s mission is to help colleagues from the trade facing serious medical or financial hardship or any other workplace or home difficulties. The charity supports employees from every sector of the drinks trade.

Hospitality Action: Offers vital assistance to all who work, or have worked within hospitality in the UK and who find themselves in crisis. The charity supports people with life-altering illnesses, experiencing poverty, bereavement and domestic violence and those who have retired from the industry who may be isolated. People can apply for grants for a range of things including essential items, food, equipment and central heating.

 Architects Benevolent Society: The Architects Benevolent Society is the only registered charity in the UK dedicated to helping architects, assistants, technologists, technicians, landscape architects, and their families, in times of need. They help people of all ages who have experienced illness, accident, redundancy, unemployment, bereavement or other personal misfortune. Support ranges from confidential advice to financial assistance.

Bakers Benevolent Society: The Bakers’ Benevolent Society is an Almshouse Charity that provides sheltered accommodation in Epping and Essex. They provide housing, care and support to the retired people of the Baking Industry and its Allied Trades. It employs professional staff with the qualifications and experience to carry out their jobs in a caring manner.

PRS for Music Members Benevolent Fund: The PRS for Music Members Benevolent Fund provides financial help and advice to PRS members experiencing hardship due to illness, accident, disability or conditions associated with old age. They offer cash grants to deal with a crisis, help towards essential living costs, free specialist medical assessments as well as financial and debt management.

The British Jewellery, Giftware and Finishing Federation Benevolent Society: The British Jewellery, Giftware and Finishing Federation Benevolent Society financially assists individuals that have worked within the giftware, jewellery, surface engineering and travel goods and fashion accessories industries.

Market research industry: The MRBA provides financial help, advice and assistance to anyone who works or has worked in market research (including market researchers, interviewers, recruiters, office staff and independents in the market research industry) and to their immediate families. MRBA supports those who need help with debt, or other financial assistance brought on because of an injury, illness, bereavement, carer responsibility, or other personal issue.

The Solicitors Charity: SBA The Solicitors’ Charity is an independent charity working for solicitors both past and present and their families. They help people of all ages who are in serious financial need as a result of illness, accident, redundancy or other adversity.

SSAFA (Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association): The umbrella Forces charity supporting both Regulars and Reserves in the British Army, the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force and their families, including anyone who has completed National Service.

RAF Benevolent Fund: Supports people who are currently serving, or have served, in the RAF and their families.

The Soldiers Charity: ABF The Soldiers’ Charity supports soldiers and former soldiers. They provide financial assistance to all soldiers and their families for debt relief, mobility assistance, educational bursaries, carehome fees, respite breaks, and more.

Royal College of Nursing Foundation: Provides hardship funding, giving assistance to members of the nursing team in times of need. Through the Benevolent Funds they provide support to all working and retired nurses, midwives, health care assistants, nursing students and their families.

Timber Trades’ Benevolent Society: For applicants who have worked in the Timber Trade in the UK for at least 10 years as employees of companies engaged in the trading and distribution of wood based products, are in receipt of a low income, have little or no savings and live within the UK. Applications can come from individuals, other charities or similar.

Electrical Charity: The aim of the RNBS, in partnership with the Electrical Industries Charity, is to help current and retired staff manage significant life issues and events, such as debt, state benefits, health issues, relationship difficulties, family problems, legal rights, bereavement, abuse and emotional distress. They can provide assistance for respite breaks for carers.

Royal Medical Benevolent Fund: The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund is the leading UK charity for doctors, medical students and their families. They provide financial support, money advice and information when it is needed due to age, ill health, disability or bereavement.

Unite the Union benevolent fund: The benevolent fund for Unite the union members and employees and their immediate dependents. NASUWT benevolent fund: The NASUWT Benevolent Fund is available to members and former members of the Union, and their dependents, provided a subscription has been paid to the Union.

The NASUWT Benevolent Fund was created to provide effective short-term assistance during difficulties relating to financial hardship as a result of chronic illness, bereavement, an accident or loss of employment through dismissal or redundancy.

BEN: BEN is the UK’s dedicated charity for those who work, or have worked, in the automotive and related industries, and their dependants. BEN’s Welfare Service supports individuals and families through challenging times, providing help, advice, information and financial support. News

Traid: Supports people and their immediate dependents, who have been employed in newspaper and magazine distribution in the UK (anyone who deals with newspapers and magazines from the time they leave the printing press until they reach the reader). The charity will help people with a proven trade connection and are in need of support and/or financial assistance.

 Ambulance Services Charity: They endeavor to help both serving and retired ambulance personnel and their immediate dependents in times of exceptional hardship, poverty or personal need.

The Printing Charity: The Printing Charity helps those who have worked in the printing industry. One-off grants and regular financial assistance are available for those on relatively low incomes.

Civil Service Benevolent Fund: They support civil servants, past or present, and those who work for organisations directly funded by a government department. Support is available in relation to money, stress and anxiety, caring, depression, relationships, mental health

If you need further advice you could try contacting;

Age UK: UK-wide charity which can provide: information and advice. Contact for details of your local branch. w: t: 0800 169 2081

Alzheimer’s Society: a national charity providing support to people with all types of dementia and their carers as well as support groups. Contact to find details of your local branch. w: t: 020 7423 3500

Carers UK: a charity offering expert advice, information and support for all carers. w: t: 0808 808 7777 (10am- 4pm) e:

Carers Trust: supports carers locally through a UK-wide network of 160 Network Partners who offer information, advice, guidance, emotional support, local carer support groups. w: e: t: 0844 800 4361

 Citizens Advice: advice from your local Citizens Advice. w: t: 03444 111 444

Dementia UK: runs a national helpline and email service w: t: 0800 888 6678 e: Young Dementia: provides information and support to people whose lives are affected by young onset dementia. w: t: 01993 776295 e:

Working to increase awareness about dementia, to inspire people affected by dementia to live happier and healthier lives and to make every day matter.

Contact Us

07388 668332

Call Us Today

C/O Community First
163 West Street
PO16 0EF

Write to Us

Send Us Message

Quick links
What We Do